June 25, 2018 - Washington State Vacation - Day 1 at Westport.

My wife Edith and I headed south for five days to explore the southwestern coastal area of Washington State. I had visited this area myself for a birding trip in 2014. On that occasion I had stayed at Ocean Shores on the north side of the large bay that cuts into the state.



This time, we stayed on the south side at Westport. We were in the Chateau Westport, a large lodge that was about a 10 minute walk to the beach.


Chateau Westport - Westport WA

The beach looked out onto the open Pacific, so the waves were fairly active. We did see a couple of kids surfing here during our stay.


Since I would not be going to San Francisco in the fall for the Oracle convention, I was hoping to see some of the birds here that I see on that trip. I was somewhat successful.

We didn't see much on the first day as we were traveling for a good part of it. Here's a few local birds:


Savannah Sparrow - Westport WA



California Gull - Westport WA

And finally, if you get lost there's a helpful Crow to show you the way back to the lodge.


American Crow - Westport WA

This is a short post. The next one highlights our day in Ocean Shores, with more bird diversity and some horses.


No comments:

Post a Comment